By Nwakanma Emmanuel Emeka (Meka Wrights)
What Is Social Media
Social media is a computer-based technology that facilitates the sharing of ideas, thoughts, and information through the building of virtual networks and communities.
Users engage with social media via computers, tablets, or smartphones on web-based software or web application, often utilising it for messaging/chatting.
While the importance of using the social media is inexhaustible, we would also make mention of its demerits as how it causes depression for teens and youths which make it’s most users.
Social Media Depression
The origin of social media depression sterns from the fact that more often than not, these social media users fail to realize that life is not all what it looks on the internet.
The world of social media provides easy access into people’s lives to know what’s happening with then and know the latest with them. This kind of technology will only grow more pervasive.
Unfortunately , it is easy to send someone a hateful message while sitting at home in your room than to say it to their face. Social media has made it more easier for people to be indecent to each other.
Symptoms Of Social Media Depression Include:
2. Loss or increased sexual desire.
3. Difficulty in sleeping (insomnia) or excessive sleeping (hypersomnia)
4. Difficulty or loss in concentration.
Overcoming Social Media Depression
2. Observing internet free hours— intentionally staying away from social media for a while.
3. Training your mind not to be intimidated by what you see on social media as they are synthetic.
4. Engaging with people offline more often
The undying urge to be accepted and recognized online leads to unwanted disbelief on one’s potential and capability.